The following are few tips for safeguarding oneself from the sin of the Eye – “Unlawful gazes” by Shaykh Zulfiqar Ahmad Naqshbandi Mujaddidi DB
ۚقُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنِينَ يَغُضُّوا مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِمْ وَيَحْفَظُوا فُرُوجَهُمْ
Tell the believing men to lower their gaze and be modest [Surah 24. An-Nur, Ayah 30]
وَقُلْ لِلْمُؤْمِنَاتِ يَغْضُضْنَ مِنْ أَبْصَارِهِنَّ وَيَحْفَظْنَ فُرُوجَهُنَّ
And tell the believing women to lower their gaze and be modest [Surah 24. An-Nur, Ayah 31]
Unfortunately, today, we live in a society where advertisement, billboards, newspapers, etc. attract us with obscene images. The west also attempts to destroy our faith by propagating the message of “SHYNESS is a SICKNESS”. It is difficult to save ourselves from this evil, as watching obscene images repeatedly destroys our modesty and makes us immune to obscenity.
‘Remember, if we do not cast veil over our eyes, then a veil will be cast over our hearts for sure.’
Below are a few steps of advice for people who intend to save themselves from this sin:
- While walking on the road, keep your gaze lowered in such a manner that just by the feet of passers by, one can get an idea if they are men or women.
- In Supermarkets/Ticket counters, etc., try looking for a counter with representative of your own gender. Avoid counters with representatives of your opposite gender.
- While Driving a car/riding a bike, keep your concentration on the road and vehicles around you rather than people on the road and in vehicles. It’s always possible that you might end up looking at a Non-Mehram seated in a car, bike or walking.
- NEVER look at Billboards/Hoardings while driving, riding or walking.
- It’s better to avoid passing through a street which has girls school or College.
- Always carry an Islamic book with you while travelling in a Bus/Plane/Train. This will keep your mind busy and help you against evil thoughts from Shaitan.
- When entering your own house, make an audible sound from your mouth, so that if there is a Non-Mehram woman present, she may cover herself.
- When you knock on someone’s door, stand away from the front of the door, so as to avoid coming across an unveiled woman.
- NEVER stay alone in the house & NEVER keep yourself free. Keep yourself occupied with some work all the time.
- Connect to the Internet only when it’s required. NEVER connect un-necessarily as an idle mind is devils workshop.
- When you happen to be at an Airport or an Office, where a television is playing or pictures of women are displaying, then intentionally sit with your backs towards it.
- During any Official work or essential shopping, if one needs to interact with a Non-Mehram, then do not look at their face. Just as two people who are displeased with each other would avoid looking at each other’s faces or eyes when required to interact under compulsion.
- If married, keep your spouse happy.
- During Tawaaf of Kaabatullah, keep your gaze fixed at your feet. Never raise your gaze during Tawaaf except for Istalam of Hajr-e-Aswad.
- Avoid gatherings/functions, if there is opportunity of sin. (eg., No arrangement of purdah for visiting women, music, dancing, etc.). If there is a fear that the relationship between you and the organiser of the function may be affected, then be the last to enter and first to leave the gathering.
- First of all, it’s best not to visit Picnic-spots. However, if required to go, then choose such a time and day when there would be minimum crowd.
- Fast on the 13th, 14th and 15th of every month as per the Lunar calendar. Also fast on every Mondays and Thursdays. If you are still unable to control your gaze, then fast on every alternative day.
- Visualise the punishment you might get for this sin of unlawful gazes. Imagine that your eyes are being pierced with hot iron rods for years and years together.
- Fix a punishment for yourself every time you end up sinning, e.g., offer 20 rakaat Nafl Salah for every sin occurred or give sadaqah of a certain amount. (Fix an amount that would possible prevent you from sinning again).
- If you happen to cast a sinful gaze, lower your gaze immediately & recite istigfaar.
- Read the following Tasbeeh( Heart cleaner):
(100 times in the morning and 100 times in the night)
- Wake up for tahajjud salah every day and pray to Allah that “O Allah! It is extremely difficult for me to prevent myself from sinning, but, it’s extremely easy for you to save me from sinning. Oh Allah! Cleanse my heart and my eyes from the evil effects of my sins.”
May Allah protect us from all sins of the eye and make all acts which are detestable to Allah, detestable in our hearts too. May Allah shower His Mercy on those who were involved in the production and propagation of this work. Ameen
Download the Poster PDF in English and Urdu
To get Instant updates of Live Bayaans and other Events, Please follow us on our Telegram Channel from the link provided below: