The following are brief notes prepared for a lecture about the month of Ramadhan. It is a summary of a lecture given by Shaykh Hakeem Akthar sab (ra) titled, “Tuhfah-e-Maah-e-Ramadhan” The ending of it are some tips to help us all spend our time wisely.
“O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed for you as it was prescribed for those before you, that you may become Al-Muttaqun [the pious].” (Surah Baqara; Ayah 183)
The nature and mandate of fasting is beautifully described in the Qur’an. Instead of just commanding us to fast, Allah addressed us as ‘mu’mineen’ to kindle the spark of iman within us to make us realize our intention–everything is for Allah. The primary purpose of why we fast is because we have this belief that Allah subhanahu wa ta’ala is our Maalik and He knows what is best for us.
“And if you do fast, know that it is better for you, if only you knew” (Surah Baqara; Ayah 184)
Read More »
Alhamdulillah, we are all blessed once again to see the arrival of the great month of Ramadan. The next 29 or 30 days are very precious. One needs to try their best to make the most of this blessed month. To do that, here are fifteen points that one can keep in mind for this month…
1. Remove any and all distractions that distract one from worshipping Allah, so that one can worship Allah properly.
2. Learn the fiqh of fasting. One should know what does break and what doesn’t break ones’ fast etc.
3. Whatever bad habits that you have, get rid of them and do not develop new ones. In order to make this work one should inflict pain on their nafs. So for example, the nafs is greedy and it loves money. For every sin you commit, give a certain amount of money in sadaqah. Do not inflict physical pain on your body, but rather, inflict pain on your nafs.
4. Extra Salah – Pray however many nawafil (optional) prayers that you can pray. Before this make qada of all your previously missed prayers. Qada takes precedence over nafl prayers. Tahajjud also falls under the category of nafl. You can pray both the qada and tahajjud.
5. Minimum at least one Qu’ran should be recited in Ramadan.
Read More »